Group Hike & Scenic Walking
Guest Speaker Bill Pereira - Diabetes Alert Dog Trainer
Tips for Exercise & Blood Sugar Balance
Wellness Discussions for Type 1 Diabetes
Friday, June 7th, 2019
1pm - 9pm
Wake up excited and ready to travel to Sun Valley! Once you arrive, we will start with time for introductions and discussion on living with T1D, followed by a delicious, low-carb dinner.
Saturday, June 8th
9am - 9pm
In the morning, we will split into 2 groups. You can choose to do a more challenging hike OR a gentle walk...both with stunning scenery. After lunch, we will enjoy a lecture by a diabetes alert dog trainer, which will lead us into our delicious dinner and time for socializing.
Sunday, June 9th
9am - after dinner
In the morning, we will split into 2 groups. You can choose to do a more challenging hike OR a gentle walk...which will be shorter than the previous day's hike/walk. Then we will come back and enjoy a delicious and low-carb, freshly prepared lunch. In the afternoon, we will have a lively discussion on various T1D topics until we get hungry for our final dinner!
- All meals from Friday dinner through Sunday dinner. (All meals will be whole/real food, nothing processed, low-carb and delicious)
- Tasty, low-carb snacks and desserts
- Friday + Sunday educational discussions
- Saturday + Sunday outdoor activities
- Saturday guest speaker
Lodging is covered by you. There are many wonderful hotel and home-share options for you to choose from, listed below.
- Drive into Sun Valley, Idaho, zip code is 83340.
- The closest airport is SUN - located in Hailey, Idaho. Some hotels have a free shuttle to/from this airport.
- The Boise, ID airport is BOI and a 2.5 hour drive to Sun Valley. You will need a rental car for the drive.
- Please email us in advance with your itinerary! We will do our best to organize a carpool or ride-share for those of you coming from Boise.
The town is small enough that you don’t really need a car once you arrive, although it would come in handy if you want to do your own thing. Yet, the local bus runs often and is free of charge. Main street only has 3 stop lights, so it’s pretty easy to walk everywhere too.
- The Sun Valley Resort, first-class resort; has it’s own village; 20 min walk to center of town
- The Limelight Hotel (brand new, very hip, southern edge of town)
- The Knob Hill Inn (quaint and upscale, northern edge of town)
- Hotel Ketchum (brand new in 2018; very near our retreat center)
- Kentwood Lodge (middle of town; an upgraded Best Western)
- Tamarack Lodge (town center)
- Tyrolean Lodge/Best Western (5-10 min walk to town)
- www.AIRBNB.com (rentals by owner) –> good areas are Ketchum, Warm Springs, River Run, Elkorn, Sun Valley; Hailey will be 20-30 min drive away; Bellevue will be 30+ min drive away
- www.VRBO.com (vacation rentals by owner)
- RV Park
- Several camp grounds near town
Do I have to have type 1 diabetes to participate?
Nope! Friends and family are welcome too. It is so helpful when your loved ones really 'get' what T1D is all about so it's a great idea to have someone you love join you! (Full retreat price applies for each attendee.)
What should I pack for Sun Valley?
Average temperatures in June are in the high 70*F & low 40*F. Expect daytime temps to be in the 60’s with lots of sunshine! (Having said that, we had sprinkles of snow in the higher elevations one year!) We will be taking group hikes and scenic walking adventures, so be sure to bring comfortable outdoor shoes, backpack, water bottle, exercise clothing, jacket, hat, hiking poles (if needed), and whatever clothing you need for the average temperatures.
How many people will be at the retreat?
We want the retreat to be personalized and intimate, so we limit the group to 25 people. Reservations are very limited and encourage you to book ahead of time to secure your spot. Summers in Sun Valley are also in peak season, so accommodations should be booked as soon as you can.